“Saying No”

Shernica - Sugarland, Texas

Being a teenager in this very diverse generation, it is hard to make the right choices. Everyday, we go through a series of obstacles at church, school, and at home. We try to learn from our mistakes and come out in one peace. Peer-pressure along with the stress of school, family and other social aspects make our teenage years the hardest to overcome.

We not only get judged by our teachers or parents but also by our classmates and people in our age group. I believe everyone has to go through the same stages. No one should compare themselves with others, but simply find out who we truly are inside. I believe through hard work and goal settings we can plan our future ahead of time to be the best we can be. As we go through life we learn from our mistakes and get to know our strengths and weaknesses a little better. The things we do bring us a step closer to our future and we can not use any excuse for our outcomes because we are experiencing stress and other teen related problems. Teens are the future and we should try to learn from our mistakes. We need to prove to our elders that being a teenager does not mean that we are wild, abuse drugs, and are sexually active.

Drugs are a major impact on a majority of teenage lives. Some make these choices because they are influenced by others. The media often portrays many sexual or drug influence, so it is very hard to avoid them. If we are given a choice, we should remember what the consequences will be and let that lead us through. The most important thing is to remain true to yourself and to respect your body. Depending on whether or not a group thinks drinking and smoking is cool, their peers may be able to sway them into breaking the rules or trying risky behaviors. Pressure from these peers can distract students from doing schoolwork, trying out for a sport, respecting their parents, or obeying underage drinking and smoking laws. I believe parents can shape the way their children deals with negative peer pressure. They can start by always letting their children know you love them and are proud of their accomplishments. I believe you should just say “No.”

Many teens think that sex is in. I believe if teenagers are having sex, they are followers. It may be cool at the moment, but being a teenage mother is not so cool. Many are unaware of the drawbacks and consequences of having sex. Sex is absolutely not an area to rush in to. Without taking proper precautions, the consequences can impact the rest of your life. Teens should gain more knowledge and be able to protect themselves, or just keep themselves out of the situation. I believe you should just say “No.”

To me peers can bring very positive influences, and a lot of negative influences. Today throughout the world peers are always going to have a positive or negative influence, but it is up to that person to make the correct decision about their life. Although to our society peer pressure can not be solved, peer pressure is just another issue that is dealt by us teenagers, and can only be solved by us teenagers, therefore the only way peer pressure can be stopped is just to be yourself, pick the rright choices, and simply say “No.”