Jordan - Rexburg, Idaho

People who have confidence have been seen as icons to the world and have been successful in their lives. Through my experiences so far in life confidence has either made me or broken me.

As young children everyone has high confidence and believes they can be whatever it is they want. I wanted to play sports, basketball in particular. As I noticed when playing with my friends, the ones who were really good knew that they were good and believed that they could beat anyone, which in return through their confidence they were right, although it did backfire on the few students who thought they were “all that and some” but didn’t have the talent or the drive to back it up. I always wanted the confidence, but when you are young your confidence can leave just as fast as it came.

As a high school student everything works differently in a teenagers mind than everyone else’s in the world does. Emotions play a big role in your confidence; if you look good then you are confident. At that age most people are caught up in their self-image and what they want people to think that confidence is based purely off of what other do, say, and think. If your peers say that you are ugly then that is what you believe. If they say that you can’t play sports then that’s what you believe. Teenagers can be easily manipulated by their peers, even though they think and say that they are independent and make their own choices. I played basketball during these years and I had good confidence, but not enough to be cocky or over the top. I was well-liked, played sports, and got good grades. I liked high school. But one thing I noticed was that my confidence was shot immediately if I was having a bad day. Such as if I missed a couple shots in basketball I believed that I wasn’t good anymore and my confidence dropped. Later I found out that I didn’t need to worry about that.

Finally as a freshman in college I learn what confidence is and how to control it. I took a class called Personal Achievements where I learned about the Law of Expectation. The basics of this law are that what we expect to happen will most likely happen, such as if we expect that we are going to make the shot in basketball then we most likely will because of our confidence. The unconscious mind doesn’t know the difference between real and fake, that is why when we dream it often feels realistic. If we just tell ourselves that we can make then shot, then we can because we expect it to happen and have the confidence that it will.

Through these experiences I have learned that I can control my confidence through expecting something to happen and believing it. Remember the unconscious mind doesn’t know the difference between real and fake.