Welcome to Walmart

Abby - Florence, Montana

I’m not one of those frequent Wal-Mart shoppers, but when I do go into a Wal-Mart I always make a point to respond to the Wal-Mart greeters always standing at the front door. With their cheerful personalities, it is hard not to smile when I see them. They have to be polite to their customers, or they would get fired, but being genuinely pleasant to people is more than just doing their job. I believe everyone should be nice to not only the Wal-Mart greeters, but everyone because we all deserve at least that much respect.

The Wal-Mart greeters always appear to be in a good mood; whether they are having a bad day or not, they do their best to greet their customers with all the excitement they have. One time, as I was walking into Wal-Mart, there was a woman walking ahead of me, in a hurry, and as she approached the Wal-Mart greeter, he said, “Hello, welcome to Wal-Mart,” and happily handed her a cart. She grabbed it out of his hands without giving him any acknowledgement back. His smile never left his face and he cheerfully greeted me the same. I gladly responded, “Thank you, and have a nice day,” back to him. The greeters make an effort to get peoples’ attention; they just deserve to be noticed back, as does anyone who is sincerely kind to people. In turn, we all need to make that effort like they do. Even with such a simple job, their simple words of kindness can make a big impact in all people’s lives.

The Wal-Mart greeters represent Wal-Mart, and a part of their job is to be nice to their customers as they walk by. They are more than just a greeter at a door. They show others how to treat people, no matter how they are treated back. The Wal-Mart greeter is a model of how all people should act towards others. It takes a lot of courage to say hello to everyone, not knowing what kind of response you will get back. We all need to be like the Wal-Mart greeter and show kindness to everyone, and hope to receive that kindness back. Now it is our turn to say “Welcome to Wal-Mart” in our own words to people that need it the most.