Adam

Rachel - solon, Ohio

I was leaving for a month away from friends, family, and my lazy brother Adam. The lazy bum was still sleeping and I didn’t feel it was worth it to wake him up and say goodbye. My brothers Adam and Jonathan, and I have always been close since the day we were put together, but then Adam went to high school and my sweet hero of a brother changed before my eyes. I wish somebody told me that everyone changes in the long, scary high school hallways. He started to get girlfriends, who replaced the little girl that was always there for him. Seeing him was awkward, with the occasional pity hug. Finally the day came that turned me and my brother into a total stranger. He left for college.

We used to have fun; now it’s like staring at a blank wall. We used to talk; now it’s total silence. Sure he came home for the holidays, but the best time was when he came home for his little sister’s birthday. When Adam comes home the house beamed with excitement and electricity, but of course Adam had to get the last word. I just couldn’t take it anymore, I blew up. We yelled and fought like never before. This was world war three and everyone knew I wasn’t joking.

Ten days later I was leaving for camp: the getaway of a lifetime. No family and no drama, but I realized I was leaving with a hole my brother left in my heart. I wouldn’t miss my brother one bit. Camp went by fast as lighting and I only received letters from my parents. Waiting for a letter was heart wrenching. Finally I got the letter I have been waiting for. The single sheet of paper, the seven sentences that changed us forever.

When I got home the first person I talked to was Adam. “Rachel I know some times things change and I’m not always there for you, but I promise from now on I will always be there for you no matter what”

“I know, but I just thought that we were drifting and I missed you.”

“Welcome home,” Adam replied.

Ever since that letter and conversation we were back to the way we used to be when I was five and he was eleven. The big brother that was always there to protect you from your other brother no matter what. Except, now it’s the real world he protects me from, whether I want him to or not. That’s why I believe family will always be there for you no matter what. Through thick and thin. Through high school and camp. No matter what I know my brother will always be there for me.