Found By Life

Jared - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe we’re found by life the very moment it’s best for us. I grew up with my questions not being answered. “But why not?” “Can I go play?” “Do I have to?” No, not those questions. My questions were a little more eternal. Now sure I was still a child and I still did ask those more common questions. But there was something deeper inside of me. I just didn’t find it until I was older. Or maybe it didn’t find me.

I grew up in the Bible Belt, the buckle to be exact: Memphis, Tennessee. I was raised having a faith in Jesus Christ. I thought I was being raised being tolerant of religions, when in all actuality I was just tolerant of religion. I thought they were the same, that is, until I decided to change my religion. I found out quickly that my family was not as religiously tolerant as I am.

Just when I thought the Constitution protected my rights, they were snatched away. I was no longer allowed to practice my religion of choice. At 16 my rebellion was that of morals. I was making my statement by keeping my standards high. I had to fight for them. I found myself irritated at God for punishing me for righteousness’ sake. Then I learned a valuable lesson.

I believe that, while we face opposition and find those that tend to go against our grain, we also find those that bring us through those same trials. While we often see the daunting face of resistance, we rarely see those miracles that solve our problems. Things settle and we don’t see what settled them. Notice I said that we’re found by life when we need to be. Our hardships find us at the right time, as does our support.

My mother thought she could stamp it out of me. Little did she know that the restrictions she placed upon me only acted as a catalyst that would propel me deeper into my love for that I knew was true. While mom thought it was just a “phase,” I knew it was much more. It was the answer to every eternal question that ran through my mind.

Thankfully I was given more angels than demons. The life-long friends I have made on my hard journey have made that journey not only easier but fun. If I had all the answers crooned in my ears as a child, I would still be a child. While I still have questions being answered, I’m not lost in a maze. I believe that by having to find my way through the maze of questions, I can now stand on my own two feet of belief. Now I’m there to help those still in the maze.