Hugs Given Here

Jenny - Wildwood, Missouri

Hugs Given Here

Trudging into school on a typical Monday morning, Emma’s tear-stained face pointed downward, she made a beeline to her locker, hoping no one would notice. And yet, Emma hoped on of her friends would realize her distress. Finding her way to her group in the hallway, her friend Daphne moved aside to let her in the circle. Everyone started to look awkward as soon as they saw Emma’s red, puffy eyes and attempted to keep the conversation going. As they kept talking, each person would shoot a sympathetic look towards Emma, giving her a silent condolence. Although Emma’s friends pitied her sadness, looks were not enough. I believe in hugs. People need physical contact when in pain, and it makes a world of difference if someone makes that effort.

One thing I love about my friends is how much they care for me. On an ordinary day, I get hugs from them for no reason at all. When I am down in the dumps and find myself sitting on the couch, watching depressing romance movies, and a bar of chocolate next to me, I know a hug would make it all better. Giving hugs shows people that their friends care about them. The definition of a hug means to hold fast. Human contact is so necessary in relationships and even strangers closer together. For me, receiving a hug helps me remember my friends’ love for me. Sometimes, my friend will come up to me and say, “You look like you need a hug”, and most of the time I do. I love people who can read my emotions like a book, because when I feel depressed, they come right alongside me and give me the one thing I need- a hug.

As human beings, we need relationships. We live off of them and if we did not have any relationships, depression would consume our lives. However, even when relationships do exist, hugs must be a part of them. It is said that a person needs an average of 12 hugs a day. People experience so many emotions throughout every day that by evening, they become mentally exhausted. We need to start hugging others more often to show our compassion. If we tried hugging random strangers on the street, they most likely would not object because of the innocence of such an act. Hugs cannot go wrong. No matter what, a genuine thought of kindness goes a long way, and through simple actions like hugs, we can build and rebuild relationships.

If you think far back, hugs existed even before you were born. But in the world nowadays, people tend to take their friends for granted and choose to not show how much they care for them. So, to change this, I say we should start showing our friends the love they deserve. Hugging may seem a simple gesture, but in reality it goes a long way, farther than we know. In a sense, if someone became depressed over a situation in his life, the “treatment” would be a hug. In other words, hugging can be described as a medicine. “Treatments” like these should be used more frequently because, nowadays, society tends to only focus on themselves and on their own personal gain. To correct this new mindset of society, I believe we need to do something simple but effective- we need to give hugs.

Emma needed her friends to pursue her and realize her gloominess, but instead, they were too afraid to do anything about it. A lot of people purposely ignore other’s distress so they do not have to deal with it. However, many individuals lose relationships by ignoring other’s discomfort. To avoid problems like that, reach out and give someone a hug- you never know who might need one.