This I Believe.. Is the Way to Transform our Country

Thomas - Greenwood Village, Colorado

I have prepared my own “This I Believe” statement, as often heard on NPR, for our invocation this morning.

This I Believe…. With a turnover of our Country’s leadership in the White House next week, we are told there will be change, big change, sometimes referred to as transformation. It has been said that we are at a crossroads in history, with expectations of a speedy end to the Iraq war, stopping Osama bin Ladden, solving the credit crisis, balancing the federal budget and eliminating the deficit, developing a new alternative energy economy and improving our image as Americans throughout the world. It sounds overwhelming and impossible for any new leadership, unless, we all are willing to participate and contribute in unison toward this change.

This I Believe… that transformation can occur:

If we are ready to move from consumption and borrowing to investing and productivity,

If we can think and then act with global concern for the sake of our environment,

If we continue to share our gifts of time, talent and money even more generously with the needy in this world,

If we are willing to work for less to avoid being overcome by greed,

If we act ethically in all of our dealings with others to balance the interests of both parties.

This I Believe… is the way to transform our Country regardless of the leadership, to bring about the economic recovery we now so desperately need and further contribute to fostering peace in this world.