i believe in beauty

abrahim - houston, Texas
Themes: family, nature

The way I see it, people view beauty as only what is viewed or, by appearance. I have rarely seen people speak about any other senses when referring to things as beautiful. I have traveled a lot, and when I visit museums or galleries, I pay more attention to the type of canvas that is being used, and how the certain paint reacts with the material. To me this is beautiful. Of course the colors and detail of the piece of art has much to do with the artwork, but there will always be “more than meets the eye”

Before Christmas, I had spent one of my school days blindfolded. i woke up that morning, putting in an AC/DC album into my stereo, and as i prepared for school, i listened more and more to the songs playing. then it hit me, AC/DC IS BEAUTIFUL, not because of the music they play, or that they look beautiful (i honestly don’t know if they do), but because they were able to think of music that appealed to many people, and that they were able to make their idea into a reality.

As school started on the designated “blind” day, everything seemed a lot more difficult to do, because i had obviously paid attention to what people looked like more than anything else. I had to paid a lot more attention to what people had said and how they said it in order to presume their tone and expression. Beauty was a lot harder to perceive when one is not using their own sight, which brings me back to my previous point. In order for me to be able to “see” things that are beautiful, I had to use my other senses (which was a lot harder when trying to put ketchup on my burger).

Over my Christmas vacation, I was fortunate enough to see all of my aunts and most of my cousins, but what excited me the most was the dinner. The dinner was a collection of different family’s dishes. In our house you would be able to smell the wonderful different scents of the dishes. To me, I liked to believe it was a very distinct aroma which only came when happiness was in the atmosphere. i then watched as all of the different families, who hadn’t seen each other in at least several months, gather together in the kitchen and converse as they served themselves food. It looked very picturesque and I became pretty sad, knowing it would all be over in a couple days, for everyone had to return to their respective homes, in different neighborhoods, states, and even countries.

now -as one says- I “have seen the light.” Inner beauty can be found anywhere, even if its right in front of your eye, or behind a set of masks.I hope that after reading this message, you will be more compelled to keep a close eye on what occurs around you, and pay attention to more than meets the eye.