why the ignorance?

jack - Texas

one time when i was young i traveld to my home country of lebanon to visit some relatives. as we were there we went on a car trip across the counrty to see the sights, but there is one site that i had forgotten all about until i heard the article “we are each others buissnes” by eboo patel. we had to stop at a red light when i look out the window and saw a homeless boy walk up to a car and ask the driver for some money. the first time the driver pushed the boy back. when the boy got back up and went back to the same car to ask the driver 1 more time, the driver open the door and hit the kid with it. i remember the kid was thrown back onto the ground. when he got up there was blood dripping from his nose. at that monment the boy burst into tears and ran away crying. at that point i sunk into my seat and tried to forget the moment. but the thing that still bothers me till today, is that there were many cars around, with able adults to go and cunsult the man about what he did, but not one single man or woman got out of there car. no one even got out of the car to help the bleeding boy who was crying his eyes out. when i was that young i was a scared littel boy, and i couldnt do any thing, in other words, i was helpless. but if i had been as old as i am now, i would have gotten out of the car and helped the kid, and i would have tried to make the man relize what he had done wrong. even though this was a awfull sight, what relly hurt me inside was what my friends replie was after i told him what had happend. he said (translate from arabiq to english) ” we already have to many homeless people, nobody cares what happens to them, they simply aren’t people.” what my friend had said hurt me deeply, it comes to show the ignorence of the people and how people dont care anymore. i shall never forget what happend that day, even though i was just a little kid at the time, i remember it clear as crystal.