True Beauty

Broden - Houston, Texas

Everything has beauty in some form. Some people say, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” This means different people see beauty in different things, and because of this, we don’t always see the beauty all around us.

Every sense helps identify beauty, and different senses detect different kinds of beauty. The smell of bacon, the feel of a blanket, the taste of Godiva chocolate, the sound of a guitar, and the sight of a giant fountain are considered beautiful. Sometimes senses conflict with each other. If something looks pretty but smells bad, it is not considered very pretty. If it looks and smells pretty, it adds up to make things even more beautiful. When one of these senses is removed, it affects the way people see things.

For a school project I had to be a mute all day. As I went around school, my friends would greet me and I couldn’t do anything except nod. During free periods, like lunch, it was difficult to keep quiet because my friends told jokes and I couldn’t laugh or tell my own. As said before, having a sense removed diminishes the overall beauty of the moment. Without being able to speak and participate in the activity around me, my day was a lot more boring. To make it worse, I couldn’t even tell anyone how bored I was!

Beauty has a role in everyday life. People generally are nicer to others that they find attractive. More attractive waitresses earn eighteen percent more money in tips than less attractive ones. Hidden cameras saw that when more attractive people on the street dropped things, many more people stop to help than if the person was not so attractive. The first impression of a person is physical appearance, and because of this many people decide to get plastic surgery. I disagree with plastic surgery because once people know you, they judge you by your inner beauty not your outward appearance.

Over the decades, society has tried to define beauty. Romans believed true beauty was a woman with a symmetrical face, big eyes, and a clear complexion. Women were expected to act their age, and not try to appear older or younger then they truthfully were. Hollywood, magazines, and plastic surgeons have set the American standards of beauty. They told everyone that beauty was a woman that was thin, young, and tall. Personally I don’t find a woman starving herself to death attractive.

Over the ages society has tried to define beauty. I believe everything has beauty; you just have to look from the right angle.