True Beauty in Life

Kimberley - Houston, Texas

Nothing felt the same nor looked the same, not that I could see anything. I had to let my other senses kick in, but things were not what I had pictured. Needing to feel everything as I walk along the walls of the hallways or the rails of the stairs and needing a guide to hold my hand and lead the way, I felt kind of silly. I was to spend 8 hours of my day at school as a blind one, who couldn’t see nor feel the same way as I once did before. I could’ve easily chosen an alternative for a major grade yet I chose to become blind to get a “full experience.”

As ridiculous as this may sound, this project was not just another activity for a major grade but it became an experience that helped me appreciate the many things that I once took for granted. Even more important, I was experiencing something out of someone else’s shoes, rather than my own.

From this experience, I just wondered how blind people still had the energy and heart to see the world in such a way that they defined beautiful. At times, I felt 8 hours of being blind was hard enough because I was not used to how things became or how I, myself, was being treated. Many people did not take us seriously because we suddenly became different. They thought it was funny if they were to hit us or push us or even trip us and they never thought about how we might feel. They had a careless attitude towards us and they thought that it was quite a joke. If this was how blind people felt all the time, I know it would not be something I would’ve been able to handle. Though the majority didn’t seem to care, there were some people who actually did, like the ones who took the time to guide us to our classes, or the ones who kept the doors open for us. Those were the ones who made the blind ones feel welcomed and loved and cared for. They made the blind ones feel warmth and I think that’s how I were to define beauty if I was blind.

From this, I believe that beauty is not seen through the eyes, but is seen through the heart. I believe that in order to see such true beauty in life, your heart needs to learn to trust, appreciate, respect and love. If one component is missing, there is no other, and therefore, there is no beauty. Not only did I find beauty in the smallest things, like a wall or a rail alongside the stairs but I also found beauty that has always been staring right at me in the face… friendship. Friendship is beautiful because it’s intertwined with love and care and trust and I think that love is the closest thing to magic and magic is just simply beautiful.