True Beauty

Peter - Houston, Texas

I’m sure a lot of people in the world say something is pretty on quite a regular basis, but how often do people say something is truly beautiful. To some beauty may be the new Lamborghini sitting in the driveway and to others it could be Hawaii but for most people it involves something physical that we can see and touch but if we really think about it, is beauty just what we can see, or does it involve more. When we take a step back and really take the time to appreciate what is around us, new and wonderful things reveal themselves to us.

Not so long ago, people who were unlucky enough to be blind or mute were rendered useless and were cast out by society and for a day, I experienced what it would be like if was unable to use my eyes and what I found, for the most part, was nothing that special.

Most of the people we share out school with gave us the cold shoulder and took advantage of the situation and poked and prodded you and would sometimes point you into a wall but a few times in what seemed to be a very long day, someone, a complete stranger would take the time and put in the effort to lead you in the right direction. Now this person didn’t have to do it, they could have walked on like the next person and just leave you holding on to the staircase for dear life, but they chose to stop what they were doing a dedicate those extra few minutes to you and only you.

When a person chooses to do the right thing, regardless of what it is, it’s something special. When a addict decides to stop, when a woman takes in someone else’s child, when a thief gives back or when a man who would have been forced to sit in the back of the bus not that long ago takes on a nation, it’s not just a marvel, it’s truly beautiful.