Beauty to me

Kevin - Houston, Texas

I woke up on a cold Saturday morning and immediately realized it was going to be a great day. As I felt the hot water burning my cold skin I thought to myself about all of the beautiful things I was feeling. So many good things happened to me that week that it was hard not to think and feel good about them.

I had gone to my friend’s party the previous night and even though it was a simple get-together, I had the time of my life with one specific person. This person had made my night not just by being there with me and cuddling with me through the movie, but by showing me her feelings for me and bringing out my feelings for her. She made me feel so comfortable and special.

Melissa and I had met at a church retreat a couple of weeks before and it was kind of awkward at first, but as I talked to her more and more I began feeling more comfortable. One thing that added on to all of these feelings that were in my mind and heart, was this girl’s beauty. She seriously is a beautiful person both inside and out. At the party, we kept doing the silliest and corniest things, and even though they were small and corny, they made the night even more significant. Our inside joke, this “L” we made with our fingers that meant love, kept popping up and it made me laugh because it was my first memory with this girl. She is great and probably one of the coolest people I know.

As I showered, I thought of the beautiful feelings that go on in a person’s mind and heart. The way I look at it, beauty isn’t just things you see. It’s also the feelings and the things people do to express those feelings. Small, corny things like what Melissa did at the party made me look at her in a complete different way because she was showing me her feelings for me. She was showing that she felt the same way I felt about her and that made me feel very good.

I think that as people we always need to look at a person’s inside before we can judge or say anything because they may be different than what their outside appearance gives out. There is always something more to a person than looks.

As part of our beauty unit in humanities class, we had to be blind for a day. I had to have someone help me walk around school and it wasn’t the best thing. But I did learn something from it. I learned to see things in a different way. I had to basically hear sounds and people’s voices all day and it helped me see everything in a different way.

So I think that one of the things I’ve learned about beauty is that there’s more than what meets the eye. There is no real definition to beauty in my opinion. I just know that things we see aren’t the only things that can be beautiful. There’s more to it.