what beauty is to me

maria - houston, Texas

Beauty is perceived by many people as an imagine. The world as fantasized itself around beauty being what size we are, if we have acne or not, and by wealth, but in reality real beauty is none of that. I once though of beauty as an outer image until my school made me become blind one day. It’s an experience I will never forget.

School started out as a normal day that is until the bell rang at 7:50. At 7:50 our blindfolds were to come on before we walked into the double doors to go to our first class. As I tied on my blindfold taking away my main sense I knew that day was going to be a long day. Not even five minutes into my day was I already bullied! It was not just in the morning that that happened, it went on all day. I was punched, pushed, got things thrown at me, and got shoved into things. I guess you can say that that is when I first started realizing true beauty. That is when I really realized people’s true personalities.

But being blind was not entirely bad. I learned many things. I could tell peoples voices apart because I listened better, and I knew who was who by feel. I guess since my main sense was gone the others took charge. And that made me realized what was pretty because I learned to recognize things by what they really are and not by looks.

Many things changed since that day but the things that changed the most was my gratitude towards life and its true beauties. Being blind showed me what was real in life that should be appreciated, and most of all it showed me what the real meaning behind beauty is… that is who you really are, not what we see in front of our eyes, but many may disagree with me, and when they do all I can say is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder!