The Meaning of Beauty

Kabrina - Houston, Texas

Beauty has always been an interesting topic for me to think about. I am an over analyst, so these controversial topics are extremely appealing to me. Beauty is one of those words that do not have a regular definition. It can be in any form, and found in the most unlikely things. This leads me to think, what if beauty is not really something physical? Yes, I am aware of the fact that inner beauty plays a major role in hopefully everyone’s life and we all know it exists, but what if physical beauty does not exist at all?

I believe that everyone is beautiful in their own way. On the contrary, I think this is only possible because each person has a different definition of beauty. Even amongst my group of very similar friends, I am able to see the differences in what each of their perception of beauty is. This all contradicts my theory of the non-existence of physical beauty itself, but I think too much attention is placed on physical beauty. The act of being superficial is vastly overrated in my opinion. I think it does not matter if a person is superficial or not, true beauty is true beauty, whether or not it is on the outside or inside, I’m not sure, but it is what it is.

Beauty can be found in everything. I, as a human being, think of people opening doors for others as a beautiful act. I, as a female, find certain male features beautiful. I, as a person with sensitive feelings perceive apologies as beautiful. Beauty should be more than just a one-way street. I view beauty as more of an effect. It makes the “receiver” smile on the inside, makes you happy within, no matter which form it is in. each and every person should know that they are beautiful, and I know this is clichéd, but at the end of the day, we all are. Each one of us has a certain quality, in some cases, it could be the same quality, but viewed from a different aspect. And, that is what makes us beautiful. The small differences barely seen.