i believe in new things

nikki - USA

If you have ever tried something new, then you know that it’s never easy. I remember it like it was yesterday. I woke up and felt like I had swallowed a million butterflies. I got up and started packing the rest of my stuff. As I held each item I felt like I was packing up my happiness. I kept telling myself I would love it and want to go back every summer. It didn’t work. I was still terrified. What if I don’t make any friends? What if the activities are boring? What if I get so sick or hurt that I have to go to the hospital? My parents assured me that I would love it so much I wouldn’t want to leave, but I wasn’t so sure. My mom told me she wished that she could have gone to camp as a kid. I couldn’t see why she wanted to be out there in the sticks and the dirt and the smelly lake for three weeks.

When I came downstairs I tried to eat some of my cereal. But after one bite, I felt like I had eaten ten bowls of cereal.

My dad said “Let’s go” and I stood up and gathered my bags. I opened the door and sat in the seat, while my dad put my bags in the trunk. As we pulled away from the house I looked back and thought why on earth do I have to leave? I kept thinking of how awful it would be and how much I would hate it.

Hart-2

We pulled into the Lewis school parking lot. I looked around at all the kids waiting around to get on the bus. When I got out of the car, I immediately looked around for my friend, Lauren. As soon as I spotted her I walked over to join her and the girl she was talking to. The girl introduced herself as Katie and said she was from Hudson. I introduced myself and asked her how long she had been going to camp. She had been going since sixth grade.

The buses arrived I was surprised to see that they where small and only two of them. We climbed into the second one and sat all the way in the back. I waved out the window as the bus pulled away from the school. I said to myself, this is it I’m really going.

The bus rounded the corner. We saw the sign for the camp. Everyone started yelling things like, “we’re here” and “finally.” They all seemed eager to get here; it couldn’t be that bad right? The bus came to a stop and we all hopped off. The camp smelled like woods and trees.

When we all arrived to our cabins, I made one more good friend. Polly was from Pennsylvania and had been going to camp since third grade. She said she loves it and never wants to leave. I knew then that my mom was right. Camp ended up being so much fun, I cried when I had to leave. It had been one of the best summers of my life.

I believe in trying new things. If you don’t you miss out on fun things. Life is short live it to the fullest.