I Believe Words Can Hurt

Evan - solon, Ohio
Themes: prejudice

Some people just get the idea that people are gay just because of little things people think are gay. Well just because I hang out with some cheerleaders doesn’t mean that I am gay. So if you have made fun of someone in the past think about what your words have done to those people.

It was last year and I just turned 14. My day was going great and it seemed as if nothing could stop me. But then I walked into English class. When I walked into class these people I thought were my friends started to talk about me. At the time I didn’t know they were talking about me. Then this kid came up to me with a big grin on his face.

“Hey gay wad,” he said calmly.

At the time I really couldn’t hold myself together. My face turned red, my eyes watered and my lips trembled. I tried to talk but couldn’t.

“Evan you look sad. Are you alright? .” she asked.

“Yea I’m fine,” I said.

“Ok Ev I’ll take your word for it. Don’t listen to him. You know what you are and no one can change that.”

“I know but still why would he say that? What did I ever do to him?” I asked.

“I don’t know just don’t worry about it,” she caringly replied.

As the day went by I couldn’t get this thought out of my head. I didn’t know what to do with myself. I did hang out with a couple of my friends who happen to be cheerleaders. So what? I thought about not watching cheerleading practice that day. But I couldn’t do that. I mean I liked hanging out with girls. So I took that idea out of my head and decided to go to the practice anyways thinking no one would be there. I walked to the cafeteria. Only the cheerleaders were there. I thought everything was okay. Turns out I was wrong. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him.

As soon as I saw that my stomach dropped to my feet and the butterflies couldn’t bring it back up. The feelings had started again except now they were worse. My body started to feel light as if I were about to float away. But the thing was…I didn’t. He now started to approach me. I tried to walk away but there was no where to hide but the shadows of the cheerleaders.

“Hey fruit cake,” he said.

My mouth was dry. I tried to talk but nothing happened. I was just so scared of him. But then I stood up and started talking.

“You know what? I don’t need this anymore. You think you are so cool because you can pick on kids that are smaller then you. You are not. You’re nothing to me so don’t talk to me until you learn to apologize,” I yelled.

From that day on I have not said a word to him and I plan on keeping it that way. I learned something and that is that words can hurt. And I hope he will learn some day how bad he hurt me because those three words really made a difference in my life.