What Goes Around Comes Around

Ashley Moss - solon, Ohio

No alarms went off. The police didn’t come. Take it, put it in your pocket, and walk out the door. It was that easy. No wonder I, at six years old, didn’t get caught stealing.

I slipped out of the house into the warm summer breeze. I could smell the freshly cut green grass and glanced up at the cloudless sky which looked as blue as the ocean. My mom was taking my siblings, Zach, Tanner, Kelly, and I to the store to pick up some last minute things for our vacation in West Virginia. As Mom checked out with Zach and Kelly by her side, Tanner and I ventured back to the toy aisle. They were just two little toys, not worth much. “No one will ever know,” whispered Tanner in that same convincing voice he had used to talk me into going farther into the woods we got lost in, and playing tag in the grocery store that ended up with a pile of Pepsi’s spilled on the ground. I smiled and slowly reached out my hand. We took them.

The next night in West Virginia, my family went out to dinner at Applebee’s. Luckily, no one knew what happened the previous day. In the restaurant, Dad noticed a tall man awkwardly standing near by. As the man passed, Dad watched suspiciously as he reached into his pocket for a bag, which slipped from his fingers and fell to the floor. Wanting to lend a helping hand, Dad bent down to help the man retrieve the pennies he dropped. When the two of them stood up my mom screamed. We looked up into her worried eyes. “Our video camera! It’s gone!” she exclaimed. We turned to see the man and his accomplice running away, gone forever with our camera. As the one man created a diversion, his partner slipped under the table and snatched our camera. Mom told us over and over that stealing was a sin. Tanner and I exchanged worried looks.

The night we got home I couldn’t sleep. I soon grew bored of lying in bed, so I quietly crept down the stairs. Tanner joined me. Mom was sleeping like a rock, but she always knew when her kids were up. She slid out of bed and followed us down the stairs. In the kitchen Mom made us bowls of cereal, though it was much too early. As we ate, mom remembered she left our bathing suits in the car from swimming that day. She rushed to the garage to grab them. Once again I screamed at the sound of my mothers scream, a crash, and a door slamming. Then all was quiet.

The police arrived just moments later. Unfortunately, the man my Mom saw in our garage got away. However, the police reported nothing missing. After being assured we were not in danger, my family and I huddled together in the family room. Stealing was wrong, I knew that now. I couldn’t take it anymore. I sprang up and ran into Mom’s arms. “I did it!” I cried. Startled, my parents looked down at me questionably. “Me and Tanner stole from a store!” I managed to say through my tears. “We did it.”

As for me and Tanner, we were okay, besides being humiliated for walking back into the store, apologizing, and returning the toys of course. I felt better, and I knew that since we returned the toys, nothing would be taken from my family or me again. Even though everyone disagreed, I knew that everything that had happened those past few weeks were the results of two foolish kids stealing from a store. I still to this day believe that what goes around eventually comes back around. And no one has yet convinced me otherwise.