Respect and Responsiblity

Chris - Rock Hill, Missouri

Ever since I was younger I’ve had a thing for scooters. Not the push scooters but the gas and electric ones. They just really interested me, and when my neighbors behind me moved in, they had two gas scooters. And all I ever heard was the humming of a gas engine and I thought, “Man I really want one of those.”

My family is middle-class. My dad has a good job, and he is a great dad. When I told him I wanted a scooter, I expected him to say, “Alright, wait until your birthday” or something like that. But the answer I got back from him changed the way I think and do things now. He told me, “Work to get what you want.” I was only eight years old, and I thought, “What could I do?”

My dad gave me ideas and finally we found one that I thought would be good: sell coffee, I thought it would be like selling lemonade. My neighborhood is a nice area but when I heard this idea, I thought, “This isn’t going to work.” I decided to try it anyway and I was wrong. I got up at 6:30 am every morning for two months in the summer, taking days off only on the weekend, and people actually bought the Starbucks I made every morning. People bought the coffee for a dollar, and before I knew it, I was up to $350, and I was ready to buy my scooter. I ended up buying a Currie electric scooter from Sam’s Club for clost to $350.

My dad taught me something by having me work for what I wanted. I learned to have some responsibility for myself and respect the things I worked for. I bought the scooter myself, and it was one of the best feelings I’ve ever had when I had a chance to ride it. Every time I rode it I thought, “I bought this, I worked for this, and this is mine”.

I had great respect for that scooter, I always took care of it, and I still remember the last ride I had with that scooter before it finally wore down completely about three years after the first ride.

My dad had taught me a lesson. He could have bought me the scooter right then if he wanted, but he knew it would be a great learning experience for me if he didn’t. Now I still have a scooter, but it is an Aprilia SR50, a bigger scooter that I can ride on the streets. I bought it with money from a few jobs. I love having the feeling of having my own money to spend and not having to rely on someone else. I have a responsibility for myself, and I have respect for myself and things I own. I wish other people could have had the same experience I had.