Sailing and Failing

Jonathan - solon, Ohio

I woke up at around 3:00am. I felt something in my stomach I hadn’t felt for a while. Can it be nerves? Am I excited? Am I in love? All the sudden I felt it coming up my throat until I just couldn’t hold it anymore. BLECHHH! I guess it was vomit.

The Smith family and mine were embarking on a cruise together. The trip was off to a great start when we saw the Smith’s car pull over to the side of the highway. The next second, Suzie Smith flies out of the car and BLECHHH!!! We continued on our way to the airport with frequent stops until I think she ran out of food to throw up.

Few hours later, we were finally at our cruise ship in Florida. Of course, there was Clarence the Clerk, who was like a pimple on the face of a teenager right before prom: very annoying.

We hand him our tickets and birth certificates, then he exclaims ,“I’m sorry, but there is no birth certificate for Colleen Palay and she can’t board without it”. Good job Dad. After an hour of calling neighbors, crying, begging and groveling to Clarence, he felt we suffered enough so he let her on, but had to leave me behind as collateral (Just kidding).

Finally, we sailed off to sea. My brother went to bed early, sick. A little later we get a call from staff exclaiming, “Mr. Palay, your son has passed out and he is being taken to the ship’s clinic”.

I slept in my parent’s room to avoid getting sick. Too late, because at around 3:00 AM, I had the sudden urge to see my dinner again. I was rushed to the clinic where they wanted to give me a shot through the butt to help me sleep. I didn’t sleep a wink.

The next day was lockdown. No outside contact for us. Don’t worry though, we did activities together. My personal favorite was race to the toilet.

After that horrendous day, we were feeling great and to top it off, we were in beautiful Jamaica. As we passed the Smith’s room to get ready to go, we heard a

horrible sound coming from Suzie’s brother. BLECHH!!! Wow, at least we were consistent, a sick person everyday.

The last day started out great because today we visited the coral reef, defiantly the best part of the trip. The fish were so close you could touch each one. Too bad we lost track of time. By the time we arrived back at the dock, we saw our ship sailing away. CRAP! Luckily, a small ship offered to take us to the ship.

That ended the Palay/Smith Adventure. I think about it and laugh. That is why I believe when you are with friends and family, any situation, good or bad, can be turned into your favorite and most lasting memories.