Apollo

Thomas - Solon, Ohio

“Tommy come here!” exclaimed my sister hurriedly. My little sister was in sixth grade, so I assumed she was getting excited over nothing. But then, as I looked out the glass door, I saw she had great reason to be excited.

Right there, as I looked out my glass door facing my red-stained deck, was a stray cat. It looked as if she weren’t even half a year old, and very thin, with big, scared yellow eyes. I saw her and darted to the kitchen, knowing she would want some food. Then, I came back, but as I opened the door, she darted away, fast as lightning. Seeing as this cat did not like people, I left the tuna there, hoping she would then eat.

The next day at about noon, the cat was out there, eating away at the tuna, as quickly and sloppily as a starving pig who was just given a buffet. As I went outside and slowly approached her, she seemed scared, but let me pet her anyway. Her fur was disgusting, covered in dirt, something made it sticky, and even had little bits of spider-webs. As my sister came out to pet her, the cat darted straight under our deck, which explained the condition of her coat.

Over the next month, we took great care of the cat. We fed, pet, played with her, named her Apollo, and tried to find an owner. We put out flyers and called people; it was coming to the point where we would have to make a move. Whether we gave Apollo to a shelter, or stopped feeding her, in hopes she would move on to the next house, her chances were dim.

It was about the middle of the summer when our computer broke down. A neighbor suggested we call a certain person, so we did.

About a day or two later, a college kid named Matt appeared at our door to fix our computer. While greeting him, my mom asked, almost as a joke, “Are you interested in getting a cat?”

To everyone’s shock he said “yes.” He said he had always wanted a cat, but his roommate was allergic so he could never get one. But that same morning, his roommate moved out and he was going to look for a cat, until now. My mom sent me outside to get Apollo, and as I called her name, she came rushing out. To Apollo’s surprise, I picked her up and took her inside. For the next hour, Matt spent his whole time playing with Apollo (after he fixed our computer of course). He loved her, and took her into his dorm as his pet. To this day Apollo lives happily in his dorm.

Our computer broke down as grief was about to set on Apollo. However, Apollo came out strong because the person who fixed our computer happened to be looking for a cat. Because of the slim possibility of this happening, I believe things happen for a reason.