Justin - Solon, Ohio
Themes: death, family, illness

The darkness was cool and crisp, the wind whipped and hurled. With it was the falling of the soft white snow. My house barricaded me away from the harsh weather. The math problem caused my head to ache. I enjoyed the cool apple cider trickle down my throat. With it came a wave of refreshment. The front door opened suddenly. The wind entered, cutting my skin like knives. The hairs on my neck stood. My mom walked in, her expression as cold as the temperature outside. At first glance I knew something wasn’t right. She gingerly sat down at the table with me. The question “What is wrong?” ran through my head. Instantly as if she read my mind, my mom began.

“Justin I have some bad news.”

Bracing myself for the worst I said,” What happened?”

“Your grandfather has cancer.”

I didn’t believe my ears, I couldn’t. I simply got up and walked to my room. My grandpa had the simple flu and went to the doctor. He was given the proper medicine, but went back because of trouble breathing. They did a CAT scan that showed a mass on the lung. I thought about it as I lay in the comforting arms of my bed, tears flowing. I was in complete stun. I kept asking, how? Why? But no answer. I was just smacked in the face. I didn’t know how to handle it. But soon sleep relieved me from my pain.

I awoke. Walked downstairs and asked mom,

“How long does he have?”

“Six months.” She replied.

The tears came again. I had such a short period of time. I told myself I need to accept it and move on. I needed to make the most of my time with my grandpa. With my family and my grandpa, every week we go out to eat. I love his hilarious jokes and smart remarks. Soon I will not enjoy the fun company of my grandpa.

My grandpa didn’t just get cancer for any reason. There is always something that can help you from life’s saddest moments. I believe that things happen for a reason. Sadness occurs in everyone’s life, people die, and people treat you wrong, let you down. But my grandpa getting cancer has taught me to accept and move on. So I believe that things happen for a reason, and my grandpa getting cancer has helped me. But it’s so hard to know that he is going to die. I love him, and I will miss him.