Helping Strangers Out

Abby - 44139, Ohio

I sped down the steepest hill in central park, not knowing know to stop my brand new razor scooter. Just this morning my mother has brought to our small New York City apartment, my new mode of transportation. Whenever I would beg my parents to take me to central park we would always stride past the giant hill right next to the pond where little kids races boats. I would always dream about racing down it on two wheals.

Now I glided down the mountain faster than the speed of light, not wanting to stop but scared out of my mind to keep riding. As soon as I knew it I flew off of the scooter. My knees scratched against the cold rocky ground. I had ridden ahead of my parent, so I knew no one in sight. I had felt so alone; I just laid on the cold pavement for a moment.

All of the sudden, I opened my eyes and standing over me was a man. Gray hair covered the bottom half of his face. I was scared at first but when he offered me his hand I took it. As he helped me up he gave me a big toothy smile. The man guided me over to the pond, not saying a word to me. When we got over to the water the man instructed me, “Look at the water.” I looked at my reflection and saw my knees, bright red and soaked. They looked like two juicy apples bobbing in the water. When I had fallen I hadn’t felt much pain, but now that I saw blood it made everything worse. I began to feel warm salty tears sprint down my face. As the old man saw me sobbing he asked me,” Where are your parents?” I couldn’t respond so I pointed at the horrible hill. Just as I pointed I saw my parents jogging toward us. Confused looks appeared on their faces. The man explained what happened to my baffled parents.

The lesson I picked up that day is not about being careful on scooters, but about the feeling that a person gets when a stranger helps them out. The old man did not have to help me, but he did anyways because he was a nice person. I will never know that mans name and he will never know mine. However, I will always remember him as the friendly man who helped me out when I needed it.