A Promised “Forever”

Ricardo - Appleton, Wisconsin

Have you ever had a friend promise you a forever friendship? A friendship that will last

long and never end no matter what situations you both go through, whether they are bad or

good situations? I believe that a true friend does not exist.

On November 5 2007 I meet a beautiful, interesting, and funny girl. Nancy Martinez was

the name of that interesting girl. The first time Martin presented me with her, nothing ever

came to my mind that Nancy would someday become the best friend one could ever want!

School was no longer a camp of battle where I’d have to struggle and work hard all the time to

succeed. That special person I was waiting for had come and was there to make my

days cheerful and full of energy with her tremendous laugh!

Like five year olds and elementary students playing on the playgrounds we would do so

many things without having to worry about people saying this and that to us. We were like

birds flying here and there singing in a paradise where no hunters would come and hunt us.

Realizing that the person you were looking for is now there is so satisfying it feels like you

don’t have to ever worry about losing it because they promise you a forever, a forever that

is said to one is as if you will see each other even high up in heaven. Something that is going to

last always, with no expiration date.

The months passed and we were still that pair of cheerful singing birds. We were so

inseparable that we got to the point where people questioned if it was only a friendship

relation or an actual boyfriend girlfriend relation, something false, we were a couple of

best friends that promised a forever! On a Sunday morning at Fox River Mall, Nancy is

presented to a handsome guy by one of her friends, something that was not of much

importance to me because nothing was going to change our relation, even if new people came

to our lives. Nancy confesses to me that she begins to feel something for him, I tell her to go for

what her heart feels and she does so, days later they began an actual relationship! I was very

happy for her because she would have someone to love, etc. but at the same time my heart

was beating and felt like a herd of wild horses stumping on it, because it had the feeling that

this was the beginning of the end.

Months later our adventurous hang outs were coming to their ends. Nancy would always

be busy with her boyfriend and did not have time for me! Something I had to understand

because this was a new episode of her life, an episode where she was going to be loved, but an

episode that was not suppose to be guilty for breaking us apart and that ended up doing it.

On a humid summer afternoon my phone rings and reads “Nancy…BFF”.

(Nancy…Best Friends Forever), my face was full of joy because after a few days of not seeing

my best friend we would finally hang out again! What I never realized was that this call would

give my life a 90 degree turn, after answering the phone a soft broken voice on the other side

says “I’m sorry Richard, I know how much this is going to hurt you and me but we have to end

with our friendship”. My blood ran from my head to toes inside of me faster than the fastest

electronic train ever invented. The first thing my lips questioned was “Is this you”? The reply

was a yes. She tells me with a broken sad voice that her heart decided to go for her boyfriend

than for a friend whom she had promised a forever, a forever that had now ended full of

hypocrisy and lies. I did nothing but burst one terrified tear down my cheek and said “If this is

what you really want, I have always done what ever has mad you happy and if this is what you

want, I will do it, forget about my existence in this world and take your “forever” with you”.

This has made me realize that one should not trust who ever comes to you and promises

you a forever, a great experience life has given me and also a lesson that will always be

inside of my mind, because a “forever” that does never happen, will not exist inside of my feelings !