Living Life

Lashaundra - Jacksonville, North Carolina

In this life you only have one chance to be who you want and do what you want. You can’t waste your life by doing things just so people might like you better or to fit in more. It takes nine months, give or take a few weeks, to give life and it can be taken away in an instant. It is important to understand that we only have a short time on this earth and unless you believe in reincarnation you have to make the most of what life has to offer while you still can.

When I was just 14 I realized how quick life can be taken away when my cousin died. Her life was taken away from her when she was only 21 years old by a brain aneurysm. She was kept on a respiratory machine for a couple of days until our family finally let her go. When my family traveled down to Georgia for her funeral, I couldn’t believe she was dead because I had only just spoken to her two or three weeks before. I had been to other funerals before, but this one hit me hard. Throughout the whole service I wondered if she had any regrets, if she had meant to do things but never had the chance, or if maybe she had lived a full life and had no regrets because she had lived no matter what she had or hadn’t done. Since that day I have promised myself that I would live my life by my own terms without worrying what other people would think of me or how it might affect my social status. From then on I was going to do anything and everything. I was going to read, learn, play, shop, gossip, write and travel.

I am now 17 and next year I will be attending college where I intend on studying International Business and foreign language. Before my cousin’s death I believed that if I did or learned many things, then that would mean that I would have lived a full life but now I feel different. Our lives are meant to be lived every second of every minute, every minute of every day and everyday of every year. It doesn’t matter what you do or don’t do as long as by the end of day, month or year you have truly lived. Although I have not yet traveled or have written anything of substantial value I believe I have kept my promise of living my life and trying not to waste a single second of it.