Is life fair?

Justin - Lacey, Washington

Is life fair? It can be fair, at times, depending on how one acts because every action has a reaction. But most will agree that life is like a cruel little boy with an hourglass making you, the ant, feel helpless and insignificant. Take driving for example. Stereotypes are made for a reason, obviously, but there are always two sides to each story; I’m positive that I’m not the first teen to say that just because our age group is considered “reckless” doesn’t mean should have to suffer. Even hinting at the thought of raising the driving age of 18 is not only inconsiderate but also completely unnecessary.

Honestly, I can see both sides of the argument. But being a teen driver, I’m of course going to be slightly more bias. I don’t like stereotypes, but so many teen drivers make it difficult for the responsible ones to be trusted. I agree that the supervised time or permit should be increased from 6 months to a year. At the same time though, from my experience, i don’t drive the same with a parent or an adult present. I almost got in a huge wreck on the freeway because my mother would not stop yelling at me for the smallest things; if she hadn’t been in the car in the first place we would’ve never been in danger. The guardian or parent could also be a bad driver themselves so there are a lot of different factors to implementing this new law.

I can see how adults could get too mixed up in being an “adult” and getting behind the wheel while they’re intoxicated thinking they’ll be fine. What I find ironic is the fact that most people are officially adults by the time they’re 25, not legally, but mentally and this is the age that starts to show the worst alcohol-related accidents. If the driving age is raised from 16 to 18, there will be an even higher accident rate for teens under 18 because it will be the new illegal excitement. Teens are notorious for being rebellious and the only way to cope with the new driving age would be too take out their parents’ cars. That means no driving experience on top of the fact that they would most likely do it with their friends. It’s the same thing with alcohol, since the age is 21 teens think it’s cool to drink before the legal age. If the drinking age is reduced to 18 it will no longer be exciting because it’s no longer so prohibited. So I understand the teen stereotype, but if the law wants to get that technical, don’t serve any alcohol in public establishments. Of course this would never happen, but why raise the age of driving from 16 to 18 when most adults over 25 are twice as likely to be in a fatal accident due to intoxication?