I Believe in my Education

Katy - Olympia, Washington

I believe in my education. I’m eighteen years old, and I’m a senior at Timberline High School in Lacey, Washington. This is the point in many teenagers lives where they start to question what they will do with their lives. Everyone hearing this has been there, struggling to figure out who they are while society is shoving them out the door into the real world, and if you haven’t yet, you will. It’s terrifying.

I sometimes find myself still wrapped in my blankets, arms and legs tangled through my sheets and pillows at 6:30 (I’m supposed to be up by 5:30) debating in my head the pro’s and con’s of playing sick and staying home from school. This is not something that is done by only high school kids, until the day that I am done working, I will have these days, and I will have these early morning debates with myself. Sometimes the sand in my eyes gets the better of me and I choose to stay in bed. More often that that, though, I get up, don’t have time to take a shower, and go to school with messy hair and no make up. I get up because I want better for myself then what people expect of me, and I believe that school can help bring me that. I go through my classes and learn something valuable in all of them. I learn things from these classes that I will use in my everyday life even when I’m done with my schooling, yes even in math class.

I know that I’ve learned things that, had I not been in school, I would never know. I know that my education through high school and beyond is working towards making my life the best that it can be. This is not something that I always believed, if you had asked me this question two years ago, I would have said something along the lines of “I don’t like going to class. It’s a waste of my time, and I don’t need half of the classes that they’re making me take.” This is, of course the radio friendly version. But now, I know that class will help me, I respect my teachers for what they do for me, I know that they are effecting my entire life with every lesson they teach me.

I believe in my education. I believe that my education is so powerful, and so significant that it has changed the way I think about everything from the importance I see in math, to what I value in my life. I have more self value now that I have been through nearly four years of high school, I know that an education has not been wasted on me, and I know that I will do something to better this world; this is all because of my education. I believe in my education.