The Power of One

William - Jacksonville, North Carolina

I live in a world where rugged individualism is encouraged and where caring for one’s fellow man is a task only to be started after one has gotten all that one can accumulate for oneself. One, as you very well may know is singular. It is very unfortunate that in this world reside about 3.6 billion “Ones” all working to keep “number One” happy. It is for this reason that I believe in myself. I am forced to. For if I don’t, who will? What man will stop his Hungry, Hungry Hippo-like continual grab for money for a seemingly useless 16 year old? What woman shopping at the finest Gucci or Prada store will pause her search for a bargain to explain to me why a/sin(a)=b/sin(b)? When charity and education are put on the backburner for those “burning through life” there seems to be a problem with society. When the village that was given the task to raise the child shows neglect, it becomes the job of the neglected to believe in itself.

Our world is not right. And it is because of these imperfections that I must believe in myself to fix them. And it is for that matter that I not only believe in myself, but also in you. Yes, you, reader, for it will be a group effort. You and I can change the world. Care for your fellow man. Seek his needs before your own. “Love thy neighbor” and all that jazz. Play your neighbor some jazz! As the great jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald sang [I need] “Someone to Watch Over Me.”

Now, I shall only ever be a singular being. And the same is your fate too, friend. But together two Ones can band together other Ones to create a society of everyOnes. It is only in this society that true happiness and unity can be found. And it starts with me. And it starts with you. And it starts with One thinking of Many. And it will end with the Many thinking of All.