The Power Of Being Positive.

William - olympia, Washington

“Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness” Mark Twain. Everyone can empower themselves with joy and optimism. Specific encounters with unusual circumstances should not affect how loving, compassionate, or the ability to accept the fun in life’s daily task without the grief, resent, or any negative aspect that has been carried on.

From one modern day to another any teenager can begin to complain about falling down the stairs, failing a test, or maybe even losing your lunch money. Now I can’t sit here and say well I’m ecstatic and it’s never happened to me because everyone has those days. For those days though I just look to my comic relief and find ways that I never thought I could to make myself enjoy the current condition. Some times looking around a room helps. Little jokes that make the room giggle. The teacher giving a dirty look, or just something to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The smaller things in life like that just find a sense of relief.

A smile. One of the most simplistic things that you can do may let someone have hope, or share that joy with you. Through the thickest quick sand and the thinnest mud puddle a smile passes the belief or idea that yes I can do this. Or maybe even the opportunity for someone to realize they need to change there present for a brighter tomorrow.

Your glass may be half full or half empty. Not one person or one thing can change this except your overall outlook. I grew up without my father for most of what I can recall. He’s in and out of my life and never seems to stay that long. I wish I had the chance to get to know him before I grew up. What some would call a disaster; I view it as an advantage and learned to love my female influences such as my grandmother and my mother. Over my past sixteen years I have learned that nothing is worth sorrow and pain unless you let it be. In my own time I get overwhelmed with emotion and have to struggle between the pain of not having a “Dad” or how awkward it is around male adults. The difficult process between the salty tears and the shut out anger finally shows. Reality kicks in and I begin notice “Darn. My mom is amazing”. Nothing will ever change that either. We fight and argue and have our good moments just like any other relationship. The importance of what we have fulfills everything I could need and more.

Optimism can flip any situation upside down to pure enjoyment. I’m no good at math, but everyday I seem to continue with a positive attitude and keep my head towards the sky in hope of achieving a grade that satisfies me. Only I can change myself, and with the power of positive thinking I’m half way to achieving my goals.