World without Music

Michelle - Providence, Rhode Island

Almost everyone has certain beliefs and lives by them every day. They may be as simple as decorating your home in a certain way to have a certain balance of energy, or as complicated as practicing a religion. I believe that without music, the world would be different. Today if you ask people what it is that they believe it might take them a while to answer. Most people think that having a belief in requires something as strong and life changing as those that people had in the 1950’s through the 1970’s. What they might not notice is that believing in something does not have to be at all complicated. I have a belief. It might not mean much to many people, but it helps me out a lot.

Music is a powerful form of expression that can be used for many purposes. Music is beyond words. It touches my heart deeply and I really “feel” what the lyrics or the beat has to say. I can’t imagine a day without listening to music; it is a big part of my life. It helps me calm down when I’m angry. When I feel under the weather, I put music on and it temporarily helps me forget about my problems. I remember this one time, about a year ago, when I had a really bad day, I had gotten into an argument with one of my closest friends and we weren’t speaking to each other. When I got home that night, I immediately put on some music. The song that was playing was a “dance” song, but there was still something about it that made me think about earlier that day and it was soothing for me. It helped me blow off some steam and analyze the situation. I am a stubborn person and once I make up my mind, there is no changing it, but somehow music makes me realize if I was wrong.

When I listen to music I become filled with joy and excitement; even if the song that I am listening to is slow and “depressing.” When I listen to music, it is as if I am part of the song and I dissect the lyrics and “live” the song. I put myself in the song and pretend to be the protagonist or the narrator. I think that if you are not the compassionate-type of person or doesn’t really care much about people’s feelings, listening to the lyrics of a “slow” song helps you get “into” that person’s shoes. If you keep doing that, after a good period of time, you grow more compassionate towards people and the world. By listening to music you grow more aware of things.

I believe that without music the world would be such a dull place. Just look around, there are so many different genres of music and so many different rhythms to listen to. People from China do not listen to the same type of music that people from Brazil listen to. Each type of music is tied to the culture or lifestyle of the people listening to it. For the most part, every type of music has a dance or movement associated with it. Anyone can identify with at least one of the many musical genres.

This form of expression allows people to articulate their emotions and beliefs. During WWII and the wars after that, many people would express themselves through song. One of the most direct musicians during the Vietnam War was Bob Dylan. His lyric left an impact on the young generation at the time. It would motivate people into speaking out against injustice and protest. The Beatles were also a big group during that time whose lyrics made people question the world they lived in and those lyrics really hit the hearts and souls of people during that time.

Not only do you hear music on the radio or in music videos, but you also hear it in commercials, movies, and TV shows. Imagine if commercials didn’t have any type of music in them, they would be even more boring to watch than they are now. People tend to get distracted and bored easily. That is why the people producing commercials add music to them. They are probably thinking, “If we can’t get their attention through the message, at least when the audience hears the song somewhere, they will remember our commercial.” Movies and TV shows have music in them to enhance a scene. A soft, light tune might make the scene more romantic whereas a noisy, grimy tune might make the scene appear horrific or dreadful.

One thing is certain, music is all around us and will always be there. Music is a form of expression that allows people to reflect upon different ideas and concepts. It is an art form that has the power to get people’s attention and interest. Without music, life would be completely different and boring. Music is essential to our everyday life.