Life, a Belief

Matthew - Culver, Indiana

Life

I believe in life, as it really is. Real life doesn’t spare anyone. Life doesn’t care if you are young or old, weak or strong, healthy or sickly, life comes for you. One moment you are there, the next moment you aren’t. Life is a gift, sometimes a crummy gift, like the flowers torn out of your garden as a last minute gift. Everybody wants life to last forever, but life is here a short amount of time, and then it vanishes. Silence, darkness, and I hope peace overwhelms ones inflicted with a lack of it. Life is a drug that I can’t define, because on the contrary, life defines me. There are side effects, repercussions, after shocks; that affect everything and everyone around life.

Take Sky, for instance. My mother, almost three years after I was born, became pregnant again. Of course, I did not understand where the baby came from, so when I was told that I would be getting a sister, I was naturally amazed. Only nine more months and I would get to see her, Sky. Life had revealed itself to me and my family again. Overjoyed and anxious, we waited for her to be born. Life comes to us, out of the blue. at the age I was, it seemed like this sister of mine just appeared out of nowhere. Although I was too young to understand what this meant, I shared in the excitement. Five months into the pregnancy, we went on our annual trip to a camp up in the woody mountains. While there, my mother began having pains, the nearest doctor was about a half hour away, and even he was not that good of a doctor. My dad drove me and my mother there in about fifteen minutes flat.

When we reached the doctor, I saw the ugly, evil side of life, that side being the lack of life. It took from me my younger sister. I didn’t understand what death was, but life I did understand. I understood my sister lacked life, and I wouldn’t get to see her. I believe life is delicate. I believe that I should all enjoy life now, because I never know when it will be taken away from me. I have experienced the pain of losing a life, and I can live with that. I have learned not to dwell on it though, because I believe enjoying life, even if it is for a short amount of time, is more meaningful than living a long life, without getting to enjoy it. I don’t know if I will die today, tomorrow, or in fifty years. What I do know is I’m going to have a good time living the life I have.