Money Can’t Make You Better

Roemer - Rochester, New York
Themes: equality

Is a homeless person living under a bridge any less of a person than Bill Gates? Weren’t all men created equal?

When looking at society today, especially in America, it seems like money and materialistic items are all around us. Just recently my iPod broke after two years of owning it. I asked for a new one and received it as a gift. Shortly after, I realized that as much as I enjoyed owning it, it didn’t change my life all that much. And I didn’t feel like a better person because I owned one.

I guess what this entire lesson taught me was that money and material items don’t make a person good or bad. It’s up to our actions and we live our lives, to determine that. So don’t fret if you don’t have as much money as you want. Or if you can’t keep up with the Jones’s next door. Just live

your life doing what makes you happy and being with who you love, and if wealth comes your way because of it, that’s great. If not, that’s fine too. Surely the pursuit of happiness, not the greed and desire for wealth can satisfy all one’s wildest dreams. This I believe.