Miracles Come True

Allen - Rochester, New York

There are miracles all around us. You just have to look deep, and you will be able to find one. They can be as puny as watching the Red Sox win the World Series or as enormous as surviving cancer. As look back throughout my life. I have experienced many miracles. Therefore, I believe in miracles.

One afternoon, when I was little. I asked my mom why my Grandma was always in the hospital and if she is ok. The response that I got was that my Grandma was waiting on a list to get a kidney transplant. I thought to myself: can’t she just live with one kidney. I was wrong she had an enormous cyst on both of them. She has a rare kidney disease that cause cyst (cyst are almost like tumors they can become cancerous if not removed) to grow on her kidneys. After months on dialysis she was finally going to get a working kidney. If only it would be that easy. During the operation there was some confusion. Once the kidney was in, she was placed on life support because her body rejected the kidney. The doctors then gave her medicine (a very risky medicine that was not approved by the FDA yet so she had to sign a wavier) Years later she had another transplant this one was a liver transplant. Just like the other transplant, tons of complications occurred. Right then and there I believed that miracles can happen, and I was praying to God that he could help her because I want to see her get to live a normal life. He did because she is still alive today.

During sixth grade I read the book It’s Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life by Lance Armstrong, this book is about how he survived cancer. Just imagine you just came off of one of your best races and one of the fastest times by an American ever. You would feel like you are on top of the world. Well that’s how Lance Armstrong felt until a couple months later when he was diagnosed with cancer. The doctors told him that he had less than a 50-50 chance of surviving advanced stage testicular cancer. Long and fatigued days of chemotherapy resulted in Lance surviving cancer. He oblivious proved those doctors wrong. The doctors also told him that he might not make a full recovery and may never race again. Once again another miracle struck Lance because his hard work and dedication won him seven straight Tour De France races. In his book he says he believes in miracles now too.

Usually when tragedy hits people’s life they start to believe in miracles. After all, that’s what happened to me. You don’t have to survive near death experiences to believe in miracles, it can be as simple as getting an A on a test that you never study for. I believe in miracles.