Have Faith In What You Believe

Joseph - Rochester, New York

I am Roman Catholic. Growing up I was taken to church every Sunday and sent through religious education until 7th grade. At this point in time I joined the youth group at my church. “With faith and faith alone shall you reach eternal salvation …” Even though I am not Lutheran, and several aspects of Lutheranism do not appeal to me, I keep this idea close to my heart. Throughout my life I have contemplated on the many concepts revolving around my faith. “The choice to believe …,” being one of them. I believe that everybody at sometime, questions his faith whether he acknowledges it or not. Everyone will face obstacles, fears, and tough situations throughout their life. These hardships may be based around, economic misfortune or social troubles, but in the end, faith will assist you in determining the most beneficial and rightful answer. My situations throughout my life have led me to believe in a higher being, God. One situation was a retreat I went on last year. At this retreat I had time to reflect on the meaning of life. I came to the realization that we and all living and non living things had to come from somewhere. When scientists say that the origin of the universe can be explained by the big-bang theory, what allowed for that to happen? I decided that something, God, had to start the universe and put all life into motion. I belief I questioned growing up and just recently agreed with was the Adam and Eve story. Since there is proof of a big-bang theory, then why do people believe this story? I decided that I shouldn’t question beliefs of my religion. Instead I should have faith in what I believe. Overall I believe my faith has increased to benefit me as a person and that others should have faith in what they believe, so that they too can benefit from the experience.