Hapiness left

Sienna - 63119

Today in class, I found my most recognizable characteristic to be that I step into every introduction, nearly thrusting my entire self at the opposing individual. As we exaggerated, I erased the “nearly” from the equation and delved, the entire front of my body, in to each handshake. The exaggeration helped me to outline this as a specific tendency of mine. I suppose it’s important to understand your own propensities so that you don’t fall into them on stage. Rather, when acting, if I lean into someone when meeting them, it would be a character choice, instead of a “Oh, that’s Sienna on stage” kind of thing.

As for personal information, I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri in a town called Webster Groves. It was wonderful; every house had its own personality, the streets were always sprinkled with bikers and runners and walkers, and a blanket of cozy grass spread over the rest. Really, nothing ever went wrong in Webster, and that’s precisely why I wanted to leave-I wanted some danger, risk, ACTION!

I was a shy kid for most of elementary school, but toward the end of it I started getting big parts in the plays because I was loud. Loud. This adjective became a familiar one in describing me; I was always “too loud”. Throughout my youth, my voice was my triumph and demise; it helped me make friends with funny dialects, or goofy and unforgettable class interruptions, but it also sent me to the principal’s office for earning me an undefeated record in profanity-shouting contests. I never sang much, until high school, and then my world exploded with music. I started doing musicals, sining in choir, bee-boppin in the school a cappella group; it felt as though I was a new person now that I had singing to consider. However, I don’t think I’ve, still even today, discovered my real voice. I notice it fluctuating always, depending on who I talk to, and I constantly put on accents and mix up inflections so that I almost forget the origin of my own tone. Singing is even more ambiguous; I tend to mimic the voice, subconsciously, of whom ever originally sang the song, meaning “Let It Be” rarely escapes my lips with out a tint of british tongue. My quest for my vocal identities is an internal one, however, because my friends and family all recognize me as a proud and happy-to-be kid. To them, my identity was clear; perhaps it is just me who hasn’t discovered it.

I have two parents, two sisters, and one little brother, and to all of us have, or are developing, vocal roles. My dad is softer spoken and reasonable, while my mother is passionate, strong-voiced(as is my father, he just shares less), and always happy to share her opinion despite the consequences. They are both actors, now running a theatre company, and constantly have heated, money arguments, during which my mother acts as the romantic: passionate and relentless toward her art; and my father more puritanical: caring for financial issues and the stability of the family. My younger sisters are 15 (Sarah), and 11(Sophia). Sophia is easily the quietest in the clan and, like dad, always is a peace-keeper. Sarah, not as frequent a contributor as me, still shares my moms’s talent for stirring up situations. Charlie, our 9 year old brother, is currently trying so hard to argue his positions to everyone–his voice must be heard! On the other hand, he commonly hangs alone. I see my self as passionate in my speech like my mother, but also someone to bring everyone together, just like and even more so than my father. I like to think I have the same magic in my eye my mom has when she speaks about what she loves, but also the same carefree, stress-crackin humor of my father. All of us are strong toned(except perhaps charlie or sophie, who haven’t matured), meaning that when we want to get something across we are all vocally competent and ore than capable of accomplishing our goal. Additionally, everyone in my family sings: my dad a croaking bass, my mom a sultry alto, Sarah a soprano in choir, though capable of delicious lower register, and me: a bodacious baritone. Charlie and sophie, are still super high to consider, but both have an excellent sense of pitch.

Over all, my goal is to discover, who I am, what I sound like, and to gain control over this instrument that has already been an enormous aspect of my life. I believe in finding your own voice whatever it may be.