A Divine Relationship

Miles - 50010, Iowa
Themes: Christianity

What is Christianity? To most people, Christianity is one of the many religions in the world. Christianity has over 1.9 billion adherents worldwide, making it the most practiced religion of the world. However, I believe in a different and more personal definition of Christianity.

I believe that Christianity is not a religion but a relationship. While some may argue that these two things are essentially the same, I find that religion and relationships have almost nothing in common. Religion is a formula of rules and rituals that, if followed correctly, will give you God’s favor. Religion provides a one-size-fits-all approach to pleasing God. Relationships are completely different. Relationships seldom follow rules or formulas and no two relationships are the same.

I believe that what God wants from me is an intimate, personal authentic relationship with me. It seems to me that if God wanted us humans to follow a formula, Jesus would have told it to us. Most of the Bible (the stories) would be worthless if all we needed from the book was the right formula. Instead the Bible tells us the ongoing story of one nation’s relationship with their Creator and how later that Creator sent his son to die so that the relationship could be restored.

The death of Jesus on the cross is the foundation of Christianity. But besides that, I find it to mean so much more. Jesus’ death is the ultimate proof of just how much our Creator loves us. But even more so, I find Jesus’ death to be an invitation. An invitation to know God. This relationship with God is what I believe Christianity is all about.

I believe that God is relational, that he created humans to be in relationship with Him. I also believe that something happened to block this relationship, causing humans to become broken. And try as I may to fix myself, it never seems to work. Thankfully, Jesus’ sacrifice has redeemed the relationship, enabling humans to be who we were created to be. Inside this relationship with God, Jesus begins to live inside me, transforming me and making me a new person.

My life has changed drastically since I realized what Christianity is truly about. My relationship with God gives me purpose in my life. As I live my life, I try to live out of this relationship with my Savior Jesus Christ. The way I read the Bible has changed, too. I’ve stopped reading it as a recipe book for pleasing God and begun reading it as an intimate letter from a best friend. All I do in my life flows out of my relationship with Christ.

What is Christianity? I believe it is a relationship with our Creator.