Learning To Ride A Bicycle

Shanequa - Spartanburg, South Carolina

I believe that the most important lessons in life are learned from experience. I can remember from when I was younger things my mother told me I would and should never forget. One of my lessons that I learned that still stick with me today was learning to ride a bike. It was Christmas Day and my father took me outside and sat me on the bike. At first I had to sit there and learn each part and what they did. Then I had to master balancing on the bike. I t was difficult, but I learned that I needed to stop learning toward my dad and stand on my own.

Next came pedaling; I had to learn how to move and still remember balance. At first I kept falling over and not hitting the ground because my father would catch me. But the final time he let me go and I moved more than five hundred yards, I began to fall. This time my father was not there to catch me. I hit the ground hard, and the bike fell on top of me; I went to hollering and screaming, and I made a promise to myself never to get on another bicycle again. Then my parents came in and gave me the infamous speech that I should not give up just because I could not master it the first time.

Well that same speech has gotten my through thirteen years of school and most of my life. I learned three valuable lessons that day. One was that if at first you don’t succeed, dust yourself off and try again. The second lesson was to wear pads and a helmet because concrete is not soft. The final lesson I learned was that in life sooner or later you have to let go of your parents and do things for yourself. I have to be able to stand on my own two feet, and not depend on my parents.