The Maverick

Caitlin - Jacksonville, North Carolina

It is rare when a day goes by without me being told I am weird (or any other synonymous words). I find it a compliment, because the reality is “when you’re nuts, you have wide range of behavior.” I do what I want, when I want, how I want, where I want. I’m thinking it might be the fact that I’m so unorthodox, people often times find me peculiar or different and even sacrilegious (in the extreme case of the moralizer), but I really don’t care.

The truth is my nectar is a little bittersweet. My juice includes the following components: experimentalism, neutrality, irrationality, love, nonchalance, whimsicality, adventurousness, hedonism, and a dash of perceptiveness, with spikes of presumptuousness, narcissism, and masochism. The product of this poison equals me, C.L.M.

A lot of people choose to live their life in the normal, civilized, conventional manner: have a decent job, go on vacation biannually, do the same exercise routine, eat food –waiting for that age of retirement and working to live. Some people are destined to be doctors, while others feel compelled to be teachers. Some people feel the urge to be businessmen, musicians, or farmers, while a small percentage of people don’t even do anything at all with their lives. As for me, the gravitational pull of the adventurous maverick reels me in.

You see, I don’t want to spend my life only dreaming of rapturous experiences while wasting my time stressing over vacuous things– I want to frolic in the wet dream and never wake up. I want my five senses to be inebriated with felicity—permanently. I want to commit to pleasure in the name of love, music, arts, and literature, because they pierce our mind and hypnotize us with their melodies, words, and sights. These elements are a respite in our hectic lives, they give us refuge when times are difficult, and stir up powerful memories beyond measure.

Ultimately, I want to retire early so that I can explore the world: tango with the Don Juan’s over in Spain, wildly dance to the throbbing drums of the Zulu tribe down in Africa, and even jig on the counters of an Irish pub. The way I look at it, pleasure is the passage of life and life is all about the things you experience. But what is really essential is to live for yourself. If you want to save lives (educationally and medically) or become part of the technology revolution, well then go right ahead. Each person of the world has a particular purpose and goal in life. We are all novels with an elaborately unique plot. Some stories and chapters are bland while others are exhilarating. Some are short, while some are long. Some are intriguing, while others are even fatiguing.

I believe in living for yourself and doing what is right for you, and you only. This I believe, oh, this i believe.