The Power of Words

Sangmee - Fresh Meadows, New York

I am not an eloquent speaker. My words ramble on; going headfirst into what resembles a train wreck. However, when it comes to expressing how I feel, or what others want me to know, I feel the language you speak is the best way to convey your messages: straightforward and easy to understand. This is why I believe in the power of words.

In the recent election between Barack Obama and John McCain, many people commented on how well each presidential candidate delivered his speeches, and how they addressed the voters with his own opinions. The majority of the people praised Obama for his articulacy, and in the end, he won the election with the nation still buzzing about how well he uses his words and makes that into his charisma. Without words, his victory for presidency probably would have changed drastically, and this just goes to show how much the use of words is important in the long run.

It is funny how even three words can affect someone so much, whether the effect is positive or negative. For example, the words “I love you” can make people feel so special about themselves, but when someone says “I hate you” to another, it can make their world spin, changing from a day of normality to a day when everything becomes convoluted and muffled. My experience with words has shaped me to become who I am today: considerate, mentally strong, and contemplative. Because of the different things people have said to me, whether they be “you’re the greatest, Sangmee!” or “I’m very disappointed in you…,” I have either been broken down or placed on “Cloud Nine.” While going through my encounters with different wordings and their true meanings, they have helped me to become more thoughtful of how I talk to others and what I truly want to say to them.

Without words, I do not know how I would have survived to this day. To me, words are the true basis of what goes on in our daily lives, letting us communicate, read, write, and decrease entropy. The thought of a world without words is truly scary, everything around me suddenly becoming mute and incomprehensible.

Words are our everyday tools. Words can create wars, friendships, and make changes that last a lifetime. It is words that I believe in, and words that I use everyday to make others see me as myself. They helped Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. show the world what he believed in, let Hitler carry out his plans during World War II, and let me go through each and everyday, knowing what to expect from others and use them powerfully to others.