I Believe in the Power of a Smile :)

Brianna - Clifton, New Jersey

This I Believe in…

We are taught to dream big in life, yet we sometimes forget that it’s the little things that mean most. The random acts of compassion from a stranger that let every person know that he or she still matters. I make it a point to acknowledge the stranger I walk past on the street because I believe in the power of a smile.

One day I was asked why I bother, and I simply answered “Why Not?” If I can take one millisecond out of my day to show someone else I know he or she exists, “Why Not?”

I once heard a story of a depressed man who committed suicide. A note was later found, at his apartment, stating that if one person had smiled at him on his walk to the bridge, he would not jump. He jumped. It was stated that the bridge he jumped off was a significant distance from his house, and was located on a busy street.

How much effort does it take to simply show a smile? I don’t know how accurate this story is, but it struck me. Our schedules are consisting of more and more work and responsibilities as we roll on with our daily routines and jam packed planners. Some people lose their focus and work too much, trying to succeed, and then struggle for human connections. Why does a smile, nod, or simple hello to a fellow human being have to be something we forget?

We must always remember that there is a strong power in the simple things. Every human needs a little compassion to know everything will be okay. We all go through rough patches in life and get through them together. Every single one of us is capable of showing others compassion. It is just the issue of motivation. There is no excuse, like no time in your busy schedule, because something as minimal as a smile takes little effort and practically seconds. If everyone makes it a point to do something so simple, then possibly for one person, the world will be just a little bit brighter.

We all have those days where we want to bypass others, stare at the ground and mosey through the crowd like an invisible man. Imagine if on those days someone goes out of their way with a random act of kindness; making you feel possibly a tiny bit better about your day as a whole. A smile can come from anyone and be shared by everyone.

By appearing friendly and approachable it opens the door for relationships with people. Making the point and paving the way for another person to join in and open the door to others. Everyone is capable of kindness whether he or she knows it or not. They may be like the man from the story and find themselves just one day looking for their faith in the world to be restored. He may have passed multiple people, but no one could take the time out to acknowledge him. Let him know that the world still cares, that compassion does exist in everyone, and humanity flourishes in us all. There is a reason why we smile for happiness; to spread it. Share your smile, show the world your pearly whites, and who knows, you might make someone’s day.