High Hopes

Kelsey - Jacksonville, North Carolina
Themes: hope

I believe in hoping for the best. Life is full of “I hate life” moments. No matter how hard circumstances are, I believe one should always have a positive attitude toward every situation. Living a hopeful and optimistic life makes life much easier and more enjoyable. Like Allan K. Chalmers once stated, “The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.” Living with the glass half full rather than the glass half empty is always a better policy. Things are going to change, and it is not always going to be for the best; one may not think anything is going to be “normal,” but eventually everything will work out. Things might not go back to the way they were originally, but sometimes life becomes even better. One can only hope.

About a year ago, my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. When my Mom and Dad broke the news to my sister and me, we were beside ourselves. I didn’t know what to expect. I knew that routine check-ups were necessary to make sure everything is normal; however, before the big news, I would have never have guessed the answer would be no. I just kept telling myself that this is the Hart Family, this is my family, this cannot be happening. I thought I was having a nightmare; I thought there was no hope. My mother’s healing process included surgery, chemotherapy, and eventually radiation. My mother, Beth Hart, who was once a very bubbly and friendly woman, had been transformed by a fiendish disease. She was now a very sick and tired human being. Seeing my mother so weak was like watching the hero being tortured by the bad guy. I knew my support would be critical throughout this process for her and me. I would not disappoint my mother now. As the last months of treatment were ahead, I was starting to gain hope. Christopher Reeves once said, “Once you choose hope, anything’s possible.” I finally realized the family routines, and everything that had once been, was soon going to be back to normal.

Lin Yutang once stated, “Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence.” My road had come into existence when my mother was diagnosed with cancer. The road only becomes reality through the hardships of life when the only answer is hope. This road leads a trail of hope into one’s future and leaves a path of reality in one’s past.

Just as others have experienced ups and downs in their lives, I, too, have gone through ups and down during my life. Like Elie Wiesel, I have learned two lessons in my life: first, there are no sufficient literary, psychological, or historical answers to human tragedy, only moral ones. Secondly, just as despair can come to one another only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other human beings. This I believe.