I BELIEVE IN AMERICA

Crystal - san antonio, Texas

believe in America now. I am so pleased to say that we have our first African American President I gives me hope that I can do anything that I believe in and America can overcome the trials and tribulations that so many people have endured in the world. Slavery was a big part of America and so many people had been slaves, not just Africans, but Jews in the holocaust and they went through some unbearable conditions. This is something that I have grown up learning about and hearing about from my grandparents and I pay full attention to what they have taught me. I know that I have not had to endure the physical abuse or walk on day of being a slave, but we are all a slave in some way. Whether it be to a strenuous career, being a parent, a husband or even a wife or a substance abuser we all have had to overcome something.

When president elect Barack Obama was announced the 44th president of the United States of America It was so awesome to have been able to experience that. I really couldn’t believe it I was shocked. I was so proud of America for finally standing up for what was right and not for what we are a custom to. I’m so proud to say I’m an American citizen that actively was able to make this decision and have an impact on this new American dream. My grandmother was so proud to go and cast her ballot for this particular election you see she grew up in the Jim Crow era and she witnessed racism and segregation growing up in the South. She cried when they announced that Barack Obama was going to be our 44th first African American President a warm feeling came over her. I was so touched because aside from age and past experiences we could still relate on that level and share this experience with each other I was so overwhelmed with happiness. I do believe in change and I do believe in America and I have become so proud of what I was able to be a part of in the society today.