I Believe In Ambiguity

Sam - Christiansburg, Virginia

From birth everyone is taught the idea of good and evil, in stories and movies the bad guys are always bad, and the good guys always win. Real life isn’t like that however, situations are far more complicated than any children’s fairytale, and the line between the right and wrong choice is blurred by thought. In my life, the problems I try to solve aren’t defined by right and wrong, arguments between people don’t have “bad guys,” because bad guys don’t exist in real life, it’s all a matter of perspective.

Outside of life I try to solve problems between my friends, they argue and come to me, and I try to fix it. Often there are choices to be made on who will “win” the argument, which is right or wrong, but there is always the grey area, no one things they are wrong, otherwise they wouldn’t be arguing it. What they think is also not wrong, for all thoughts and suspicions must stem from somewhere. Often I find myself in these situations, where the right choice is hidden beneath emotional attachments, or fear of making wrongful choices. In these situations I see both sides of the argument, and that is where, from above the chaos, I see the grey area. People can work out their problems, if they just stop to look at it, a middle ground can be reached. People diserve second chanses, and the ability to change is within everyone. I see this everywhere, people viewed as “bad” are just the opposite of the ones who judge them. I have to use what I’ve seen in helping others to help myself later in life.

Within my life I see these things, second and third chances are betrayed and it is in these moments I am faced with the most difficulty. Sometimes people choose not to change, because of their second chances. In these moments it is hard for me to find the grey area in my own conflict. Those I would go to are too involved in the situation and in ways had brought it about. So I must use my own judgment from the past to solve my future. Some things are obvious, and others are unsure. I must make my own choices, and not let my desire for compensation cloud my judgment. I must take measure to ensure that, as before, this does not happen again. In this I find the most difficulty, as I must rely on others to not let me down. If the problem will not change, they must change to get around it.

Wither these problems are permanently solved, or as before they will return are yet to be seen. Much is uncertain, I could be right or wrong, good or evil, but it is all a matter of perspective, and I will do no more than is necessary to solve the problem. There must be a grey area, and in this I believe.