How It was Meant to be Heard

Megan - 50014, Iowa

I walked down the stairs into my own personal heaven. From wall to wall there were wooden crates, covered with stickers advocating peace and of band logos, which were filled with vinyl record albums. I walked slowly between rows with my fingers grazing the tops of the rock albums. After basking in the beauty of the vinyl that surrounded me I realized that I had to focus. I was there with a purpose. That purpose was to find an album. The album. I went to the section for Simon and Garfunkel albums and I didn’t even have to shuffle through. The album was first. Bookends. I stroked the album as I admired what was inside. This was it.

Record hunting is a delicate and beautiful art form. The aftermath of finding that perfect album is something that never ends. It’s something that you get to experience every time that you take the album out of it’s case, place it on the turntable, and move the needle to just the right spot to listen to the perfect song.

We were meant to listen to music on vinyl. Today, music has gotten to a point where you no longer physically feel what you’re listening to. With vinyl, you’re physically a part of every step of listening to the music. The music surrounds you so that you, and everyone around you, can take it all in.

Today, we press a few buttons on our mp3 players, put miniscule headphones into our ears, and block out the world. Vinyl brings people together while mp3 players isolate everyone.

Vinyl brings out cherished memories that were once forgotten. It makes bonds stronger. I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve put on an album and had my mom say something like, “that brings me back to the summer of ’69,” or my dad say something like, “your mom and I listened to these guys in concert from our back porch.” I get to hear stories from when my mom and dad were in high school and college that probably never would come up in an everyday conversation. Hearing these stories makes us closer. I get a look at history and all of the connections they have made with music and the times. At the time that they made these connections, the music was on vinyl.