Talent is a Reflection of Work

David - Christiansburg, Virginia
Themes: work

We hear people say things like “Oh he’s just so talented” or “It just comes naturally” all the time, but throughout my life, despite how short it has been, I have found it very difficult to discover my talent; that one thing that I am truly gifted in; something that just comes naturally. I have tried, and still do try a wide range of things, everything from martial arts, to music, debate, and even work with the local rescue squad, but none have just come naturally to me. Sure I am good at the things that I do, but I am only good because of the hard work, time, and dedication I have put into it.

This is why I believe that talent is just a reflection of how hard you are willing to work at something to achieve the results that you want.

My band director has always said that “practice makes perfect,” this is what I mean by “how hard you are willing to work.” There are people out there who can just pick up an instrument and play it, or look at a prompt and write an essay without thinking twice. Those are gifts, and it is amazing what people can do with them, but talent takes dedication, and a willingness to get your hands dirty working to improve.

I am not gifted in music, but I really enjoy playing it. In order to keep up and carry my load in the band, I have to work very hard. During the summer, while preparing for marching band, I will often sit down with my percussion instruments for hours a day learning my pieces before band camp. I know that I am not the best, and I know that there is always someone who can do it better, but that does not matter to me. In the end, the satisfaction of knowing that I was able to achieve something so great is all that matters. In the end, I know that what I was able to do wasn’t just because I could do it, but because I was willing to put the time and effort into my work to make it the best it could be, and this, I believe, is talent.