Pokewhat?

Allison - Belmont, Michigan

It’s always the same adventure; a never ending one. Towns are only an obstacle to get through to your next destination. New creatures and friends come and go while following their own dreams and goals as you follow yours. Also, Professor Oak is always there to tell you that you cannot ride your bike in the Poke Mart.

I believe in Pokemon,

My generation has grown and evolved with these strange creatures of someone’s imagination. This RPG game became a world wide phenomenon and had many thumbs glued to the buttons of the Game Boy. I am speaking of, those GameBoy version Pokemon games where you either worked your thumbs to the bone to actually beat the entire game or just skated through the game to get to the end. Yes, I am talking about the Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Silver, Gold, Crystal, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, Diamond and Pearl versions. With each version getting better and evolving with our mind sets, they teach us valuable lessons. They teach us that we can hand over our belongings to other people and hope they make it better than before. That those gold nuggets are not worth the money they pay you for, and that surfing in the water on your Squirtle is a death trap of annoyance. Patience is key as you level up your starter Pokemon to the last level and catching the uncatchable Chansey.

Pokemon wasn’t just another “kid thing”; it actually meant something to me and still does. I had spent hours of my life, adding and subtracting the damage total trying to get the correct amount of time I would spend on the battle as I ran down to the dinner table. My parents would ask me to put it down, and I would reply with a certain amount of time I needed, pushing the buttons with unbelievable speed. It taught me the value of dollar as I saved up for a couple months to buy the Pokemon Yellow version for my GameBoy Color. Not a single soul was going to buy that game for me, I had to earn it. When I had enough, I walked into my local Meijer store and with a wide grin, bought the game. My nose was stuck to the screen for days.

Strategy is the key to winning the games. A person cannot continue the yellow version without a strategy in the very beginning. A person can not move on to the rest of the game without first defeating Brock and Pikachu is not going to cut it. Defeating Team Rocket also consists of a strategy; rather it is avoiding a few worthless battles or not. Life, itself, needs a strategy. Without a strategy, set with goals and personal achievements, life will not and cannot be lived to its greatest potential.