Progression through Pain

Lena - Rockford, Michigan

As children, we learn what types of things are dangerous and how we should avoid hazardous situations; however, we don’t always believe what we’re told until we’ve tried and found out for ourselves. My family has a woodstove we use every winter to try and keep our heating bill down. When I was younger I was intrigued by it and its uniqueness, considering that none of my friends had one. One night, I knew the stove was hot, but I was curious to see exactly how hot it was. I took my pointer finger and touched it to the top of the woodstove. Needless to say, the next couple of hours I spent my time sitting with my finger on the cold windows. I believe in the power of pain. Pain keeps things in perspective and tells us what is wrong. Bodies need pain to tell us when something isn’t right. Without pain, we could be hurting ourselves severely and not even realize it. No, I’m not a sadist. Sometimes people lose themselves in their imagination and pain can pull them back down to earth. Some people can be so lost in their own happiness that they forget the world still has problems.

Until 9/11 most Americans thought that the United States was immune to problems of the outside world. Nothing could hurt us. 9/11 reminded us that we aren’t indestructible and we can be hurt just as easily as any other country. Since this tragic event in our history, America has been working hard to fix the holes in our security to keep us safe, and hopefully our generation, at least, won’t take our safety for granted again. Years from now America may fall back into its old patterns and just add 9/11 to the list of tragedies in the past, sliding neatly between the Oklahoma City Bombing, the Columbine Massacre, and the Virginia Tech Shootings. Americans will become happily oblivious, and sadly, it probably won’t be until the next tragedy strikes that they are brought back to the reality of our world and its problems. I believe in the power of pain. Pain is the reminder that the world is not perfect; a reminder keeping us focused on the goal at hand; on progressing towards a better world for us all.