Man’s Best Friends

Jennifer - Rockford, Michigan

I believe in pets. These could range from small, fuzzy hamsters and guinea pigs, to larger, soft dogs and horses. I personally prefer cats or dogs, as I have had three cats and one dog in my life. These adorable animals provide the simplest, most uncomplicated form of a relationship. There is no verbal communication to be able to converse, it is unspoken; they base their love for you solely on how you treat them. If they are treated well, they will love you unconditionally. They are a comforting companion: family.

About seven years ago, we bought a kitten, Foofy. We call her our “therapy kitten,” because we bought her when my parents were going through a divorce. She entertained my mom and me for countless hours with her kitten-like pouncing and fearless attitude. She is grown now, and her day consists of mostly sleeping or eating, but she is still a faithful companion. Whenever anyone in my family is upset, she always approaches with a comforting demeanor. She, like other pets, won’t judge you based on the problem – she doesn’t even know what the problem is – she just snuggles adoringly.

Pets provide a perfect example of how we, humans, should treat others. They don’t judge you on what you wear (if your clothes even match or not), what you look like, or even odd personal quirks. Your pet doesn’t know what happened during your bad day at work or school, instead they are there waiting for you when you return home, ready to love and be loved. They accept you for exactly who you are, without a second thought about it. Furthermore, we accept their little quirks and personalities as well: skiing on the rug across the kitchen floor, begging at the table, weird food likes and dislikes, ringing bells to be let outside, walking on the paper when you’re trying to read, hogging the bed, or planting a wet, sloppy kiss on your face.

These furry critters are exactly what are needed to add simplicity to a complex life. On top of family, friends, school, work, and the busyness of life, there is a sweet pet at home that will always be there for you. They may not know they provide such a benefit, but they are a comfortingly dependable piece of stability. When a dog is called “man’s best friend,” it is absolutely true. I believe pets are, in a very simple form, man’s best friend.