Grow

Aly - Rockford, Michigan
Themes: nature, place

I am from Michigan. Michigan is known for the wonderful, yet sometimes horrible, four seasons. While some people prefer a nice snowfall, I am partial to the time of year when the green starts to emerge and I can walk barefoot through the grass. Grass is simple yet beautiful- a safety net to all and it is always there to guide you through your life journeys. That is why I believe in grass.

For as long as I can remember grass has been my guiding hand in life. I took my first steps in a lush patch of grass nearly 18 years ago, and since then grass and I have had a nice symbiotic relationship. With every spring comes new opportunities. As a three-year-old, I ran through the front yard with my buds in our pink, ruffled bathing suits; the sprinkler spinning; the air filled with laughter. As a six-year-old, the grass-burned my knees while slip and sliding with my best friend. As an eight-year-old, I set up a tent in my backyard and roasted marshmallows with all the kids in the neighborhood. By the time I reached the age of sixteen, my horizons had expanded. I shared many picnic dates with my first boyfriend on a patch of grass in our favorite park. I also found myself playing once again on the soft grassy knoll… this time on the lacrosse field of my high school. This past fall, the fall of my senior year in high school, I found myself lying down in my backyard staring up at the clouds, reflecting on my year of opportunities. Now as I sit and wait for the grass to bloom once again, I wonder what will come along side the new grass this year.

Never fail, year after year, the grass grows back. Sometimes it grows in patchy or brown. Sometimes a snowplow has taken out such a large chunk the previous winter that the Grand Canyon could sit in your front yard. Sometimes a dog even pees all over it. But it’s still there… still living and growing year after year. And then the year comes when the grass grows in greener than anyone has ever seen before, and just sitting in the soft luscious grass erases all memories of the dog-marked patches. That is why I believe in grass.