This I Believe: Moderation

Alicia - Rockford, Michigan

I believe in moderation. It truly is the best advice my doctor ever told me. No other suggestion can possibly apply to every aspect of my life. It is simple: if I don’t keep things in moderation, I will end up suffering the consequences, and I will miss out on other opportunities that life has to offer. The only way to live life to its fullest is to do everything in moderation.

Without moderation, I would probably always make myself sick. I learned this the hard way a few years ago at a Halloween party. I ate way to much chocolate and suffered the penalty at about 3:00 in the morning, waking up and vomiting more times than I could keep track of. And, of course, they say that eating too many carrots will turn skin orange. When I watch television for too long, I feel like I have a fever when I finally stand up. It’s the worst feeling ever. If I lay in the sun for too long, I’ll get a sunburn and probably skin cancer. If I sit in a hot tub for too long, my skin will get wrinkly and raisin-like. So, the way I see it, keeping indulging activities in moderation is the only way to steer clear of unexpected health woes.

Without moderation, I would probably be broke. Sure, I’ve been at the store and have been tempted to buy unnecessary things. Like last summer, for instance, when I really wanted to buy a drink-dispensing golf club. I never did, and I am proud of it. I used the money instead to buy a birthday gift for my mom. Of course, it would be easy for me to pick up more shifts life guarding. If I always worked, though, when would I have time to spend with my family or friends? Clearly, I am not a resident doctor working night shifts. In my opinion, I believe that earning and spending my money moderately will always keep me out of trouble.

Finally, without moderation, I would have probably missed out on some of my life’s greatest experiences. I have friends who do nothing but “hang out” with other friends every single day. On the other hand, I like to mix it up on a daily basis and have time to clean out my sock drawer, laugh at my family trying to wash our boat together, or get in a good workout with my rowing teammates. Also, I love to travel. I have seen great places and made great memories on various vacations, but I like to try to keep it local as well. I’ll miss out on what West Michigan’s four seasons and breathtaking coastline have to offer if I am gone all the time. Obviously, I have come to understand that keeping even my favorite activities in moderation will open up other doors of opportunity that were hidden before.

Whether it is eating way too many garlic onion rings or spending too much time away from home, I believe that moderation can solve almost any problem. I know that moderation has kept me healthy (most of the time) over the years, and has kept my checkbook full, but not overflowing. I know that it has let me experience loads of new and exciting adventures. Most of all, I know that it is the best advice my doctor has ever given me.